Sunday, February 12, 2012

Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins


My family doesn't just love these things, they literally DEVOUR them.  I think I will have to start making a batch and a half soon!   These are the muffins I referred to in my post on the oat roller mill.  If you were not so enamored by that post, let me just say that an accumulation of stress and sleep deprivation affects my speech filter and editing skills (thank you baby #4!).  So, after several weeks of sleep training said baby, hopefully this post will sit a little sweeter.  Here is the recipe with my baking notes included. Enjoy!

Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
from the Jan/Feb 2007 Cooking Light Magazine

1 2/3   cups rolled oats
2/3     cup all-purpose flour (I use whole wheat flour)
1/2      cup whole wheat flour (I use another flour like spelt or millet)
3/4     cup packed light brown sugar
        tsp ground cinnamon
1          tsp baking powder
1          tsp baking soda
3/4     tsp salt
1 1/2    cups buttermilk (I sometimes use heavy whipping cream 'soured' with
           lemon juice)
1/4      cup canola oil (I use coconut oil)
2         tsp grated lemon rind (I use dehydrated lemon rind from the bulk
           herbs section at our local Vitamin Cottage)
2         large eggs, lightly beaten
2         cups frozen blueberries
2         Tbsp all-purposed flour
2         Tbsp granulated sugar

1.     Preheat oven to 400°.

2.     Place oats in a food processor; pulse 5 or 6 times until oats resemble
        coarse meal. Place in a large bowl.

3.     Lightly spoon 2/3 cup all-purpose flour and wheat flour into dry
        measuring cups; level with a knife.  Add flours and next 5 ingredients to
        oats in bowl; stir well with a whisk.  Make a well in center of mixture.

4.     Combine buttermilk, oil, rind, and eggs in a small bowl; stir well with a
        whisk.  Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.

5.     Toss berries with 2 Tbsp flour and gently fold into batter.

6.     Spoon batter into 16 muffin cups lined with paper liners; sprinkle with 2
        Tbsp granulated sugar.  Bake at 400° for 18 minutes or until muffins
        spring back when touched lightly in center.  Remove from pans
        immediately. Place on a wire rack.  Serve warm or at room temperature. 

I should clarify that in addition to the changes I noted above in the ingredient listing, I also don't strictly follow all the directions above.  If I am using my oat roller mill, I actually use the flour setting (since it is a really course flour) and then I can skip pulsing them in the food processor.  Then I just throw all the ingredients together in a bowl, stir it until just combined, and put the batter into 24 muffin cups.  I don't add any sugar to the top of the muffins.  Most of the time, I also skip flouring the blueberries and just let my kids put a couple on the top of each muffin and poke them in.  Even with all those changes, I have to stay they are still DELICIOUS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment